Friday, April 24, 2009

Random 10+1, 4/24


Get On The Good Foot James Brown
What Do I Get? Buzzcocks
When I Was Cruel No. 2 Elvis Costello
State Trooper Bruce Springsteen
The Long Road Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Eddie Vedder
If You Don't Know Me By Now Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes
Kate Ben Folds Five
Driftin' Eric Clapton
Once In A Lifetime Talking Heads
Thunderball Tom Jones

bonus track: Cemetery Polka Tom Waits

Okay, opening with James Brown? Is it actually going to get better from there?

Well, hypothetical question asker, I get your point. Opinions vary, but what you say is valid, so valid that I chose the CD cover as the artwork.

Usually, the Random 10 goes "all over the place" by including classical or show tunes or something from eras gone by, but all these artists are from the Rock Era, folks you would hear on rock or soul radio stations. Still, it gets ultra wacky. Some of the really simple stuff, like Bruce and Nusrat & Eddie and Eric, is really great, but I'm also keen on the more layered stuff, like Mr. James Brown and Elvis and Harold and Talking Heads.

And there's a Buzzcocks cut! Excellent.

I really couldn't let Tom Jones have the last word, so I waited for one more tune, and Tom Waits shows up. Couldn't ask for better.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Mathman6293 said...

James Brown - Hah! I was lucky to have seen The Godfather of Soul when I was in college. Best show ever.

Matty Boy said...

Padre Mickey, The Lovely Mona and I, along with others, saw The Hardest Working Man In Show Business at a little club in San Jose called The Saddlerack, which as you might expect from the name was a country and western bar 99% of the time. Black folks, Latinos, new wavers and punks, along with some of the most terrified redneck bouncers you ever did see.

A very memorable evening with no bloodshed, not that the possibility didn't exist.