Thursday, April 23, 2009

Truth and reconciliation

I haven't written that much about the Obama administration. What's happened so far isn't perfect, but some of the stuff has been quietly brilliant. No more nonsensical hand wringing over stem cell debates. Not trying to block the Plan B pill. Actually engaging on the topic of Cuba, only twenty years after the Berlin Wall comes down.


During the worst of the Bush administration, I thought it would make sense for the next regime in Washington to have a truth and reconciliation committee, not unlike what was done in South Africa or Argentina.

Law professor Jonathan Turley of Georgetown University, a regular guest on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, disagreed with my opinion, and did so in a way that convinced me of the error of my ways. He said the truth and reconciliation committees are for emerging democracies. For the United States, which is still supposed to be a nation of laws, the people who did things like approving torture need to reconcile themselves to the criminal code.

Thanks for the 'splainin', professor!

6 comments:

CDP said...

I'm always so impressed with him every time I see him on Countdown.

Karlacita! said...

I'm concerned about the right wing going nutso, which they're already doing.

Do you think going after their new jeebus twims, George and Dick, will make them 'splode?

Matty Boy said...

I'm becoming less worried about the right wing becoming nutso since they are already doing it.

They don't want to constructively engage, so be it. This is a big reason why they are a minority party and currently shrinking.

I'm not sure either George or Dick are favorites right now. They are seen as losers. At the tea parties, some showed hatred for GWB as the founder of the bailouts.

Lisa said...

I'm glad he explained this. I know there are always shades of gray, but the rule of law HAS to mean something.

dguzman said...

But the rule of law means nothing if Bush et al. aren't prosecuted. So--I'm waiting to see what happens.

Zoey and Me said...

I've been following Turley and he's 100% right about defining who we are as a country. If we don't prosecute them we're no better off than no nothing countries like Somalia. We are heading that way economically. I shall be head Pirate on the Potomac!