Saturday, May 16, 2009

A new Highlight Reel™ vote


So the Madonna Highlight Reel™ vote gave a plurality to "she sucks". So let's go with a different sort of actress.

It might be unfair to say that Emma Thompson is everything Madonna is not. Just because she's adorable and really good as an actress and writer, very funny, gets along with her family...

Okay, I take it back. It might be fair to say that Emma Thompson is everything Madonna is not.

So, let's see what the people think should be her Highlight Reel™ should be. Eight movies are listed, and the standard choices "too many good roles" and "she always sucks". I wouldn't be surprised if some folks have a favorite Emma Thompson movie or TV role that isn't listed. The episode of the Ellen Degeneres' sitcom where Emma Thompson admits to being born in Iowa is pretty high-larious, for example.

I know what I think the right answer is, but I'd like to see how my readers feel. Voting is open until the end of the month.

11 comments:

Lockwood said...

I have enjoyed Emma Thompson in every single role I've seen her in, though I haven't seen several of the choices listed. So I'm going with "no reel." I wanted to add, though, if there was a "Guilty Pleasure Reel," that I am generally ashamed to admit I like anything with Arnie, despite enjoying a number of his movies. I adored Ms. Thompson in "Junior."

Karlacita! said...

Here's another way she's everything Madonna is not: Her English accent is authentic!

Her career IS a highlight!

Matty Boy said...

Here's another way she isn't Madonna. Her American accent is believable!

If we were to ignore fame and the impossibility of this thing happening, if I brought Emma Thompson to a family gathering, everyone would be enchanted with her and happy for me. If I brought Madonna to a family gathering, people would think I'd lost my damn mind.

trinket999 said...

A single expressive glance from Emma Thompson can say more than 10 minutes of histrionic screaming from a lesser actor (I don't count Madge among actors, lesser or not). Emma Thompson's entire career screams highlight reel.

The last movie I saw with her in it was Love Actually (last Christmas, I never saw it when it first came out) and while the movie itself was fun and the cast acquitted itself quite well, the most memorable performance for me was hers.

Matty Boy said...

My problem with Love, Actually was that the story with Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson is a serious tragedy, while everything else is a light farce.

It's because how good both of them are.

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Emma Thompson could make me switch teams...

You forgot "Wit," Matty Boy. That is an AMAZING movie.

I have never seen her give a bad performance. And knowing she did the screenplay for "Sense and Sensibility"...well, her intelligence and good sense just shine through in everything she does. That she is also beautiful and classy is icing on the cake.

Cheers,
Doxy

Matty Boy said...

Good choice, Doxy. There are a lot of good movies and TV shows I've left off the list here. If I actually get a website that keeps track of these things off the ground, members would be allowed to add in their favorite choices.

CDP said...

I love her in everything, but she took that tiny part in "Love, Actually", and made it so extraordinary that I have to vote for that performance.

Emphyrio said...

How about "Remains of the Day"?

Matty Boy said...

I decided to go with only one Merchant-Ivory choice and one Shakespeare choice, so "Howard's End" and "Much Ado About Nothing" got the nods over "Remains of the Day" and "Henry V".

dguzman said...

LOVE HER.