Monday, May 18, 2009

Nostalgia vs. Nutrition


Bolstered by bargain prices, Nostalgia beats Nutrition in a walkover, 6-0, 6-0.

At the local grocery store, Laura Scudder's potato chips are making a comeback. When I was a lad, there were many potato chip options in Northern California, including Laura Scudder's and Granny Goose. As time went by, the Frito-Lay juggernaut overwhelmed the salty snack food market, with only Proctor and Gamble's Pringles being a non-Frito-Lay choice for the potato chip buyer in these parts. Over the past few weeks at Lucky supermarkets, Laura Scudder's is being reintroduced at bargain prices in the two-bags-in-a-larger-bag option, which isn't exactly environmentally friendly, but it does make it easier to make the chips last.

I won't say Laura Scudder's are clearly superior to Lay's. They are both a little bit of potato surrounded by plenty of salt and grease. But they taste like I remember them and I'm glad to nosh knowing I have an option, not forced to give my money to Frito-Lay, the Microsoft of the snack industry.

6 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Totally agree. I hate the big corporations like Frito Lay. Here in NJ we used to have a local (at least I think it was just local) brand, Charles' Chips, that came around in trucks and delivered potato chips!

Karlacita! said...

I'm off topic but on blog:

Who the hell voted Always Sucks for Emma Thompson?

There oughta be a law!

ken said...

Laura Scudders barbecue chips were always my favorite. They've been gone a long time. For a while, the Lucky's house brand tasted just like them, but those are gone now too. They had, for a while, something called laura scudders here in SoCal, but they weren't the same.

I'll be looking for them next time I'm up north.

Matty Boy said...

Laura Scudder's makes three flavors of chips: original, barbecue and dip. Why get all fancy?

dguzman said...

Because they are trying to compete with Lay's with a one-two punch of flavors AND nostalgia, Matty Boy.

We have lots of regional-chip choices here in PA--Middleswarth's (too oily, possibly cooked in lard, methinks), Snyder's, Hanover's, Utt's, and others. Makes it easy to avoid buying Frito-Lay.

Dr. Zaius said...

I agree! It's nifty to be able to nosh knowingly. ;o)