This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Monday, June 1, 2009

The definitive Holmes is getting a definitive response.


He last played Holmes in a movie in 1946, and reprised the role on TV once in 1953, but that makes no never mind to the folks who have voted so far. With about a day left to cast votes, a solid majority of people who have an opinion think Basil Rathbone is still the quintessential Sherlock Holmes.

In the interest of full disclosure, I voted for Jeremy Brett, currently in clear second place, though I don't have a true disagreement with those who are in the majority. I think the writing in the Brett version is a little better, but I got nothin' but love for Basil Rathbone.

A new poll starts tomorrow. Instead of the brooding brilliance of Holmes, the next poll will be a decision about the smokin' hawt girlies.

For those who like that sort of thing.

3 comments:

trinket999 said...

I voted for Jeremy Brett as well. I fell in love with the books in my adolescence, and the Brett series started appearing on the television just as I hit my teens, so for me, he was always the original and definitive screen Holmes.

namastenancy said...

I am totally divided - I love both of them because each actor is brilliant in his portrayal of Sherlock. I simply cannot choose and I'm glad that I don't have to really as so much is still available via TV or the ever-faithful Netflix DVD's

dguzman said...

Cool. I loves my Basil, and I loves my smokin' hawt girlies!