Friday, June 19, 2009

Random 10, 6/19/09

Clint Eastwood Gorillaz
Please Call Me Baby Tom Waits
Bluebird Buffalo Springfield
Marie Provost Nick Lowe
I'm Gonna Love You Too Blondie
What'd I Say Ray Charles
Driftin' Eric Clapton
Oliver's Army Elvis Costello & the Attractions
I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good) Ella Fitzgerald
Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now Fats Waller

It was about two year ago that I mentioned the top three artists on my iTunes list by number of tunes, Fats Waller, Tom Waits and Elvis Costello. For the first time in a long time, all three show up on the same Friday list. The You Tubes doesn't consider this an important event, as only the Elvis tune is available by the original artist. I chose several live versions of the songs on the list, including a medley by Ella of I Got It Bad and Do Nothing 'Till You Hear From Me. As much as I love Ella, my favorite version of Do Nothing... is by Mose Allison.

As for "obscure artists", I'm gonna say there are none on this list. If you don't know them, it's your fault and not mine. The only artist on the list that doesn't scream "this copy of iTunes is owned by an old person" is Gorillaz, who recorded the song Clint Eastwood in 2001. All the rest of the tunes are somewhere between kinda old and incredibly ancient.

REMINDER: Only a few hours to put in your opinion on the career of Mr. T on our Highlight Reel™ poll this week. This new vote is showing a plurality of votes for "He's always good, fool!", but the voting is close and the two A-Team categories put together slightly out-poll the Always Good option.

1 comment:

dguzman said...

I love and respect Fats Waller, but he always looked kinda crazy-eyed in his photos, especially this one. He kinda creeps me out.