Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The signs of Eastlake


My neighborhood is known as Eastlake, though it might make more sense geographically to call it Southlake. In Northern California, any place called Southlake could be mistaken for South Lake Tahoe, which is hundreds of miles inland, so Eastlake avoids that confusion.


This is my favorite Chinese restaurant in my neighborhood. I will leave it to grammarians keener than I am to decide if a valley can possess a restaurant.


This is my favorite pho shop.


This place is only open four days a week from noon until six, but if you like nice juicy ribs that fall off the bone, this is the place for you.


I have never actually patronized Segway of Oakland, but I'm glad it's part of the neighborhood. It gives me some whimsical hope in the oddness of capitalism.


The Parkway. It's been several months, but this sign still makes me sad.


The white knight, the paladin. Righter of wrongs. Have gun, will travel. What kind of business would use this simple neon sign as its logo?

In Eastlake, a laundromat would. Have washers and dryers, conveniently located.


There are many bars and restaurants in the neighborhood, but La Estrellita is the only true bar and grill I've found so far. Two entrances, one to a big bar with pool tables, the other to a Mexican restaurant. This is my favorite place in walking distance to grab a beer and watch a sporting event. It's a Mexican joint, so free chips and salsa are standard, and they make a good pico de gallo and an excellent salsa verde. Besides the bargains of happy hour, any hour they are open you can get a 20 ounce frosty mug of draft beer for $3.50, my favorite being the German brew Radeberger Pilsner. Such a deal!

I'm not much of a tequila drinker, but they have a very serious tequila menu as well.


And last but not least, the cornerstone of Eastlake, the Merritt Bakery. When my parents were courting many moons ago, he worked at a dairy, and so could get milk really cheap. My future mom and dad and their pals Marge and Charlie, also soon to wed, would get together on Friday nights to a sumptuous meal of all the Merritt Bakery donuts any person could ever wish for, washed down with reasonably priced milk fresh from a local dairy.

Their cookies and cakes are still terrific. Go get a treat if you find yourself in the neighborhood.

4 comments:

Gene said...

Thanks for the photo tour of Eastlake! Does the La Estrellita sign still work? (i.e., do they light it up at night?) I've been doing a classic signs of Oakland feature, and I'll have to get a pic of that one.

Zoey and Me said...

What a fun post. It's really cool to visualize now where you live. Thanks.

Matty Boy said...

Hi, Gene. Yes, they do light it up at night.

dguzman said...

Can't wait to see all of this in person!