Sunday, July 12, 2009

Do it and you're a daisy.


For the first time since I've put these silly opinion polls up, a plurality of visitors to this blog thinks an actor has a Highlight Reel™, and I heartily concur.

As good as Val Kilmer has been throughout his career, and he has a lot of good roles, his portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone is the best thing in a mighty good Western, and is likely the best role of his career.

Like any good western, it features a manly cast of manly men. To give you an idea, Billy Bob Thornton plays a greasy little punk who talks big but is easily slapped around. Among the less slappable actors are Kurt Russell, Sam Elliot, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Charlton Heston, John Corbett, Paul Ben-Victor, Bill Paxton and Terry O'Quinn. Frank Stallone plays a possibly slappable guy, Jason Preistley plays a possibly gay guy and Billy Zane plays a way too pretty actor, but he show some stones. Normal folk like you and me, gentle reader, wouldn't want to get on the bad side of anyone in this cast.

But it's Kilmer who steals the show. Among his great lines are:

"I'm your huckleberry."

"Do it and you're a daisy."

"Ed Bailey, are we cross?"

"My apologies, Wyatt. You're a rock."

There's a scene late in the film where an obviously sick Doc Holliday is part of the posse chasing down the last of the criminal organization known as The Cowboys. One of the ex-Cowboys has joined the group.

Greasy former outlaw: Why are you doing this, Holliday?
Doc: Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Greasy former outlaw: I got lots of friends.
Doc: I don't.

Let me congratulate the other voters who have given the first Highlight Reel™ to the excellent Val Kilmer in Tombstone. I also voted this his best work.

As for your taste, well... that was a peach.

2 comments:

dguzman said...

"Why, you're no daisy at-all!"

Margaret Benbow said...

Matty Boy, I agree that Kilmer's Tombstone performance is transcendent. But if you rent The Salton Sea and watch it--then he'll REALLY be your huckleberry.