This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Frank "The Tank" Summers update - pre-season week 1


A former student of mine, running back and special teams player Frank "The Tank" Summers, played his first game for the Pittsburgh Steelers in pre-season. I will have an update on Frank for as long as he stays with the Steelers, and I hope for his sake and the sake of his family that I will have as many updates as I have had Wednesday Math posts.

The line: 2 carries, 3 yards, no receptions

Not a good sign, but here's a quote from a rabid fan, ManOf Steel9423 on the Steelers' message board.

Frank Summers - He didn't have many opportunities to run the ball and didn't look overly impressive when he did, but did you see his lead blocks on the two Redman TDs?? He was also a maniac on the coverage unit...Carey Davis beware...

I didn't see the game myself, I'll try to get to a local sports bar at least for the second half of future Steelers pre-season games. When I saw Frank play against community college level competition, Frank liked to hit people, and people fall down go BOOM! when he does. Apparently, people at the professional level can also fall down go BOOM!

Best wishes, Frank. Some of us in the heart of Raider Nation are rooting for you.

1 comment:

47th Problem of Euclid said...

Hi Matt:

I know your blog isn't about oneupmanship, but my UNC math student, Madison Hedgecock, went on to play in the Superbowl-winning New York Giants team. It's fun when your students become celebrities.