This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

A lovely day for a wedding in Oakland.


On my way to a wedding on Saturday, I ran into a wedding.
~
It's a pleasant half hour walk from my home at the south end of Lake Merritt to the Garden Center at the north end where my niece Holly got married to her beau Cleavon Smith. As I turned onto Lakeside Drive, traffic slowed down to make way for a wedding procession, the culmination of a three day celebration of a Hindu wedding. The groom dressed as befitting a maharajah, astride a handsome horse, the wedding party attending as they traveled leisurely en masse to where his bride was waiting. Exciting processional music poured from loudspeakers and the multicultural members of the wedding were dressed in beautiful clothes. Had I more time, I would have taken a picture of the bevy of bridesmaids, lovely as Bollywood goddesses in beautiful saris, but I was among the crew tasked to set up Holly and Cleavon's wedding, so dawdling was not an option.

Many were the brides in Oakland and around the world yesterday, and while not all precincts have yet reported, I am using this picture as evidence and my position of authority as blogger and proud family member to say my niece Holly was the beautiful bride in creation on Saturday. I have already written posts extolling the superhuman adorableness of Holly, but yesterday she wore a gown designed and handmade by a wonderfully talented young designer named... Miss Holly Smith, or as of yesterday, Ms. Holly Smith-Smith.

Holly also designed and made the dress for her maid of honor Lindsey Dunn, seen here on the left. This task was made more challenging by Lindsey being a few months pregnant, so no one was sure how big she would be on Holly's happy day. I only took a few pictures at the wedding, and I will post the work of professionals later. Believe me as I swear on the blogger's code of honor that the wedding party was full to the brim with stunningly lovely women of all ages, and in this dazzling array Holly and Lindsey shone like diamonds.


Shining in his own special way was the groom, Cleavon Smith, Jr, previously known to his family as Junior Bug, though he asked many years ago to have this shortened to Bug. Now that I am Cleavon's uncle, I too have the right to call him Bug, but this will take some getting used to.

While he did not have a valiant steed to ride for his entrance, Cleavon did have a tool at his command his fellow groom in the Hindu procession could not have matched. I am referring, of course, to his awesome skills at the ancient Japanese martial art of karaoke. Cleavon scorched the Cameo hit Word Up. The dance floor filled, the house came down, and Cleavon rebuilt the house brick by brick with his five minute performance. The screams and wails could be heard, but no injuries were reported.

On this special day and in perpetuity, I offer my best wishes for the happiness of all young people in love.

8 comments:

Zoey and Me said...

Oh Happy Day, I love weddings!

Karlacita! said...

Oh but you did not mention the mad skillz of one Matthew Hubbard, who tore up the dance floor not once, but twice with his karaoke!

You were wonderful!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Congrats top the happy couple.

Margaret Benbow said...

The best of good fortune to your niece and nephew-in-law, who truly do look like sensational darlings. YYAAAAAYYYYY THEM!

Matty Boy said...

Let me join the chorus of well-wishers once again and repeat Margaret's salutation.

YYAAAAAYYYYY THEM!

As to my sister's comment on the karaoke, I did have some success, as did she. But there are two stars at a wedding, and such is my fate that I have never been one of them.

namastenancy said...

It sounds like a wonderful wedding - Mazel Tov! May they have a happy life! NOW - when will somebody post the video of Matty Boy doing his number? The world waits the revelation!

Abu Scooter said...

Hooray Holly!! Hooray Cleavon!!

susan s. said...

Did you ever post said 'professional pictures'? They are lovely people.