Saturday, September 26, 2009

Random 10, 9/27/09


The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
It's My Fault Darling Professor Longhair
Let's Go Get Stoned Ray Charles
Black Coffee In Bed Squeeze
Message To You Rudy The Specials
Breakaway Tracey Ullman
Honeysuckle Rose Rose Fats Waller
Town Cryer Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Solsbury Hill Peter Gabriel
Out Come The Freaks Was (Not Was)

Eight of ten on The You Tubes. There's not enough Professor Longhair on that site for my taste. There's plenty of Ray Charles, just not this particular tune.

Here is yet another list that makes me wonder how random a Random 10 can be using the Shuffle function on iTunes. It starts with three tunes from soul and rhythm & blues artists, then three songs from the New Wave era, then a jump to Fats Waller, the back to music from the eighties.

There have been a lot of articles speculating on this topic, and I used to discount those arguments. Now, iTunes has the Genius function, which is supposed to listen to your stuff and recommend artists not found on your list. I have to wonder if any of the subroutines used by Genius in the new software package also get used by Random.

Just sayin'.
~

2 comments:

Margaret Benbow said...

"The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage"--such a great song. I heard it first in a fairly forgettable film, American Gigolo, where young Richard Gere is gloating over his fancy gigolo threads and the luxe life he thinks he's going to lead with his rich ladies--and the sad, wise, lush music knows better.

Matty Boy said...

Hi, Margaret. I first heard this song when I bought the Smokey collection. There are a whole bunch of lesser known songs Smokey wrote that are every bit as interesting as his big hits.