Monday, September 7, 2009

Random 10, 9/7/09


My Eyes Laurie Anderson
Glamour Boys Living Colour
For Your Eyes Only Sheena Easton
Get Ready The Temptations
Love For Sale Elvis Costello
What's Goin' On Marvin Gaye
I Saw Her Standing There The Beatles
Dirty Old Town The Pogues
Giuro Gets Married The Women's Choir of Sofia
New Parchman Mose Allison

Only seven of ten from The You Tubes today, which used to be average but is now a little lacking. Though there are many good tunes on the list, I put a picture of the mature Mose Allison on this post because I want to tell a story about seeing him in Palo Alto back in the 1990's.

He was playing a little club and played nearly every song I wanted to hear, as well as some good new material. I left after the show and saw him up on the street, being chatted up by a fan. If you know Mose Allison's work, he was the epitome of urban jazz with a blues edge in the 1950's, the hipster's favorite back when hipster was a new word. But Mose himself was born in Mississippi, and all the years of travel and meeting new people haven't changed his accent one teeny little bit.

I waited my turn, shook the great man's hand and said that he played everything I wanted to hear except Parchman's Farm. His brow furrowed a little bit and he said, "Oh, now... I haven't played that song in nigh onto twenty years." When you have an accent like Mose Allison's "nigh onto" does not sound like an affectation, but just the natural words to be in the middle of that sentence.

I don't know that I'll never forget that evening, but I certainly haven't forgot it yet. Thanks, Mr. Allison.
~

No comments: