Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Six Flags Over... where did you say we were again?


So I was looking through my Flags of Many Lands™ collection, and I spotted several flags that have a similar look. I went to the World Flag Database to find all flags that follow the similar pattern, and I found these six. All use black, white, red and green, all have three horizontal stripes with the middle stripe white, and all three have some geometric shape - triangle, trapezoid or rectangle - over on the left. Two of them, #3 and #5, also have a small logo, #3 a star and #5 the Islamic crescent moon and star. All the nations that went with this pattern are from the Middle East and northern Africa. Here are the countries listed alphabetically, which is not the order they are in from above.

Jordan
Kuwait
Palestine
The Sudan
United Arab Emirates
Western Sahara

Here's a little trivia quiz. Match the countries with the flags. For a bonus point, figure out which of these countries is not yet part of Matty Boy's Flags of Many Lands™ collection.
~

6 comments:

namastenancy said...

The Sudan - because of the censorship there?

dguzman said...

Western Sahara? No idea which flag is whose.

Matty Boy said...

dguzman is correct. I still have no visitor from Western Sahara.

namastenancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matty Boy said...

Since no one has hazarded a guess, I'm putting the answers here.

1) SUDAN 2) KUWAIT 3) JORDAN
4) U.A.E. 5) WEST. SAHARA 6) PALESTINE

Jess Wundrun said...

Hey, Matty, I have a little app for my iPod that you would love!! It is a flag guessing game, called "flag fun" (which would turn off just about everyone but me). There's a grid of 20 flags and you have to match the flag with the name of the country. Addicting! There's also an old fashioned memory match game, but that's just same ol' with flags.