This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Monday, November 9, 2009

The other shoe drops.


I got the rejection note from Y Combinator on Thursday. They were my Plan B for how to get by next year, so I'm back to Plan A.0, which is not enough work and slowly going broke, working towards Plan A.1, which is finding a little more work and getting by.

On the positive side, Y Combinator got back to me on the day they promised and the e-mail was well formulated and encouraging.

It was a dream, and like dreams, now it's gone, but sometimes a dream comes back. I want to thank all the people who told me about the opportunity and helped me get the application together, most especially Ken Rose, Michael Strickland and Tony Hurd.
~

9 comments:

¡Karlacita! said...

Oh dang!

It was a good idea, even in its slightly explained form.

Dang!

What's available besides teaching?

ken said...

Bummer, guy. Well, don't let it get you down and try again in 6 months when they open up for the next round.

Jess Wundrun said...

Well, there's always going on Fox News and spewing hatey hate stuff you don't believe in. Less ethical than prostitution, true, but you get to keep your clothes on.


Truly, I'm sorry!

CDP said...

I'm sorry to hear this. They're obviously idiots, but still.

Padre Mickey said...

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out.

bobmando said...

Ok, MattyBoy, would plan C be to do blogging for money? or even put ads on this site? (I'd ignore the ads right away)... Or write articles and reviews for another site for cash?

namastenancy said...

I am so sorry and I hope that the back up plans work out. Let's see if we can try to connect again for lunch - the least I can do is offer you a consolation meal.

Fran said...

I am so sorry Matty... so very sorry. I hope that plan C emerges soon. Or you could go all "hate speak" like Jess said, but I know you don't have it in you.

Matty Boy said...

Karla: It might help if I made some test videos to show what they would look like.

Ken: Thanks for the encouragement.

Jess: If I wanted a good paying job that embarrassed me, I would still be in the videogame industry, thanks very much.

CDP: I don't think they are idiots of the magnitude of the people who decided not to publish "The Mermaids". This may not be a good fit, but I think I'll try again.

Padre: Thanks.

Bob: I'm not sure where to start on the blogging for cash front. The New York Times wants local blogs, but my blog isn't that much about Oakland. Do they need a math blogger?

Nancy: Thanks. I'll send you an e-mail and we'll figure out a time.

Fran: Thanks. See my reply to Jess as to embarrassing jobs I would do before her suggestion.