Monday, December 7, 2009

Kawaii desu, ne!


The title means "It's so cute!" in Japanese. The mouth and eyes really do look like anime, the Japanese animation style, and maybe it was photoshopped, but I like it and I'm not going to quibble.

The translation of the simple (and useful) phrase "It's so cute!" into Japanese was tougher than it should have been. I went to one website and it said no, there is no translation into Japanese of "It's so cute!", an obvious lie hiding gross incompetence. On Babelfish, the phrase was translated, but only into Hiragana, symbols I don't read, though the English symbols It' and s were still in the translation, separated by several symbols. After these two useless attempts, I did what I should have done from the beginning, asked my old pal Padre Mickey, who grew up on Okinawa as a missionary's kid.

Just for fun, I put the Hirigana characters the Padre sent me into Babelfish and it translated them into English as "Lovely being, the shank." The Padre recommended Google's translator, and finally I got some software satisfaction, as Google's translator wrote "it is cute" as the translation of Padre Mickey's Hirigana sentence.

The internets are cool, but friends are better.

Domo arigato, Padurei Miki!
~

2 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

Just like a liberal; using Japanese on Pearl Harbor Day!

Matty Boy said...

OMG!!!! I totes forgot!!!

Happy birthday, Tom Waits (b. 1949) and Jeffrey Wright (b. 1965)!