This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Friday, February 19, 2010

iTunes gets funkier.

I'm posting four more songs with embedded videos for a seriously great four in a row from my iTunes later in the morning after the Random 10.



Pata Pata Miriam Makeba. For my friends who write songs, have you ever written a tune as good and as simple as this? I know I haven't.



Until You Come Back To Me Aretha Franklin with Stevie Wonder. My sister Jen calls this "The Stalker Song" and she has a point. But DAMN! It's Aretha and Stevie!



The World Is A Ghetto War. I still love this song beyond all proportion of understanding. So sweet and then so funky.



Papa's Got A Brand New Bag James Brown.

And there we stop, because it isn't going to get any better.

5 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

That's killer, dude!

namastenancy said...

WOW! You just scored a gold! I love love love Makeba and now, I'm inspired to dig out my old LP's (yes, I still have a turn table) and play a few. What a woman!

Dr. Zaius said...

I have a Miriam Makeba album! It's awesome. ;o)

Alan P said...

I'm guessing that you felt inspired to add Pata Pata to this list for the same reason that I added it to my iTunes collection last week. It was the Honda "Fit" commercial, right? Car ads may be annoying but every now and then some art director at an agency manages to pull an oldy out of the shadows of obscurity and revive the career of a deceased musical artist. A pity that they never get to enjoy the resurgence of popularity, but at least it's a small taste of temporary immortality. More than most of us will get.

Matty Boy said...

I'm not sure where I heard Pata Pata recently, but like you, Alan, I bought it on iTunes and did so early this year. I don't have cable, so my TV is just for watching DVDs right now. I might have seen the Fit commercial during one of my very rare TV watching sessions recently, but if so, it didn't register consciously. It might have been an ad on Hulu.