This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Metaphor and My People, several generations back


One of My People sent me this scan of a magazine from the 1920s. Giant women showed up in illustrations quite a bit back then, and it was very common for her size advantage to be a metaphor for the advantage a young woman had over the men who were courting her. Another of My People, he who shall be called The Curator, informs me that this magazine Film Fun had many giantess covers back in the day, most of them drawn by the artist Enoch Bolles.

In this painting, Bolles puts together several metaphors. She is shown as a ringleader in a circus, where the ring is a wedding ring even larger than she is.

Of course, we have the problem of how any of her tiny suitors will be able to afford a band of gold the relative size of a two car garage to them or what she will do with such a thing besides use it for a hula hoop, but this can be a problem with piling on too many metaphors, can't it?

As a friend of mine told me many years ago, "Don't pick at the metaphor, Matty Boy. It raises a scab."

4 comments:

Jack R said...

Hi,
This is a great Bolles cover and I have more giant Bolles girls covers on my tribute page at:
http://enochbolles.blogspot.com/

Matty Boy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jack. I knew the work of many great American illustrators by name, but I didn't know Bolles' work until I saw this one. Very nice stuff.

susan s. said...

This illustration reminds me of the relationship between the egg and the sperm. Just sayin.'

Matty Boy said...

Oooh! It's like a meta-matephor.

Nice catch, Susan S.!