This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation. When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
Trademark lines for impressionists quiz. UPDATED.
It's been a very long time since I had a trivia quiz, so I got an idea for a new one based on trademark lines that should be used by anyone trying to do a vocal impersonation of a famous person.
For example, if you are going to do Jimmy Cagney, you pretty much have to say the line "You dirty rat!"
As soon as you say "The name is Bond. James Bond." You're doing a Sean Connery. (NOT a Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan or anybody else!)
Personally, I always use a line from Murder in the Sun when I do my James Mason impression "I could have sssssscampered down the hill and crushed her neck in thessssse powerful handsssss.", but that is obviously a much more idiosyncratic choice.
In any case, here are ten words or phrases associated with vocal impressions of people or characters from film or TV, spanning many decades. See how many of them you can get.
1. Pilgrim. John Wayne, answered by danielk.
2. You realize of course, THIS means war! Bugs Bunny, answered by Ken.
3. And not a lot of people know that. Michael Caine, answered by the Googling Karlacita!
4. You betcha! Sarah Palin, answered by danielk. (Would have also accepted Marge Gunderson.)
5. Engage. Patrick Stewart, answered by danielk. (Jean Luc Picard would have been more precise.)
6. Eee-yeeeeeeeeees? OR Ooooooooooh, goody! Frank .... oh hell, that guy who used to turn up on the Jack Benny show, answered by danielk. (Partial credit here. Frank Nelson, who also got work on I Love Lucy.)
7. Thankya ver'much. Elvis Presley, answered by danielk.
8. Tenk you very much. Latka, character played by Andy Kaufman, answered by danielk.
9. I know you are, but what am I? Paul Ruebens, answered by danielk. (Pee Wee Herman would have been more precise.)