Friday, September 2, 2011

Not so random 1:
Marvin & Tammi one time.

From time to time, I practice the ancient Japanese martial art of... karaoke.

I have been known to sing Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On. People have commented favorably, and perhaps more to the point, when I ask people to get up to dance, they get up and dance.



But even if I could find someone to sing Tammi's part, I could never get drunk enough to sing this one, because this version is perfect. Way too many of the people who made it great are gone now. Nickolas Ashford the co-writer, Marvin and Tammi, of course, and the amazing bass player James Jamerson. All it has to do is start with the back-up singers whispering "You're all... I need... to get by.... A-ahh...", and I am transported.

Pop songs don't get better. This is the Word of the Lord.





5 comments:

namastenancy said...

Perfection on earth. Amen.
Although I am very partial to "Ain't no mountain high enough.."

Karlacita! said...

Would it be too weird for yo sistah to sing Tammi's part? We could knock the harmonies out, my brothah, but just looking at the unintentional ick factor. Hmmmm.

Matty Boy said...

If we had a fambly a capella group, I'd give the lead to Josh and Joanna, have you, Jenny and Janelle as background singers and I'd sing the bass part.

dguzman said...

I need to see such a video, the Hubbard Family Singers doing this song.

It's a true classic. I'm also partial, however, to the perfection of Martha and the Vandellas' "Heatwave." Pop Perfection.

Matty Boy said...

Heatwave is a great tune. I'm not saying nothing is as good as this one, just that nothing gets better.