This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The difference between The New York Times and The Huffington Post

Ben Gazzara has died at the age of 81.  Long career, lots of movies and TV shows. His big early break is in Anatomy of a Murder with Jimmy Stewart and Lee Remick.  Baby boomers might remember his TV show Run For Your Life.

The teaser sentence from the New York Times obituary says he was Brick in the original Broadway cast of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. This I did not know. They also mention his roles in the influential movies of John Cassavetes in the 1970s, which film buffs will know are a very important part of his career.

The Huffington Post has his picture on the front page with the headline "Big Lebowski actor dies".  Gazzara was in The Big Lebowski, but it was a tiny role. I swear, if the HuffPo had been around when Laurence Olivier died, the headline would have read "Polaroid spokesman passes away".

I shouldn't let stuff like this get under my skin, but it feels like we are handing the keys to our culture over to young people who can't find their well toned butts with both hands and a flashlight.

4 comments:

sfmike said...

Goddamn stupid kids, get off my lawn!

The Cassavetes films never did much for me. My favorite BG performance in a movie was his first, as the homoerotic, twisted military school Cadet Sgt. Jocko DeParis in "The Strange One." Second, of course, is his villain in the camp Patrick Swayze vehicle, "Road House." Sort of a strange career but I always like him.

Matty Boy said...

Yes, I should probably buy a condo just so I have a lawn from which I can shoo away goddamn kids.

Zoey and Me said...

I hated him in Road House but what a great actor. Funny post Matty Boy. Thanks.

Matty Boy said...

Mike Nelson, head writer for Mystery Science Theater 3000, has a great line about Road House.

"It's not the worst movie ever. It's the worst thing ever."

Personally, I think Cloverfield deserves the title now, I never fail to give credit for that joke. It's a perfect set-up and delivery.