This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Steps in the right direction.


Here is something that is not a secret to anyone who knows me.

I'm fat.

Last year I was tipping the scales at over 300 pounds and I was noticing it.  I didn't have as much energy, my circulation in my legs wasn't good, lots of clothes didn't fit, a long list of bad stuff.

So I put myself on a very lenient diet. Instead of about 3,000 calories a day, I wanted to limit myself to about 2,500 to see what would happen.

A year later, I am 27 pounds lighter.

Most people will tell you 2,500 calories is on the high end of reasonable. Honestly, I am ridiculously lucky when it comes to my health.  I easily could have contracted type II diabetes, but I haven't so far. My cholesterol is well within the standard limits and my blood pressure tends to be on the high end of normal but not technically hypertension.

I weigh myself once a week. On average, I've lost about a half pound a week.  As you might guess, since I was over 300, losing 27 pounds does not bring me to my ideal weight, but I haven't been starving myself. (As I'm writing this, I'm eating mini-tacos for dinner and washing them down with a nice I.P.A. from Trader Joe's. Delicious!) I'm going to keep doing what I have been doing until I see my weight hit a plateau, and then I'll see what I can do to bring my calorie intake down a little more, maybe to 2,250 or 2,000 a day. If I get to a weight and it takes a 1,500 calorie per day regimen to lose more, I can say with confidence "Welcome to my new weight!" If it feels like a burden, I know I won't stick with it.

It's not that dramatic, but I'm proud of what I did. I show a picture of Kevin Smith because his weight loss. Likewise, John Goodman's dramatic reduction was a source of inspiration for me. I bought a long black overcoat known as a duster at a Western gear store. I hoped to look cool like the Earp brothers in Tombstone, but in reality I look like Silent Bob's older, fatter brother. That said, both Silent Bob and I aren't as fat as we used to be and that's a good thing.


11 comments:

Fran said...

Good for you Matty!

As someone with a lifelong struggle with weight, I just get so discouraged. A little over a year ago I began Weight Watchers and lost almost 20 pounds. In February things happened and here I am in July, having gained back about 10 of them.

You have chosen a wise approach. Keep at it.

Matty Boy said...

Hi, Fran! Nice to hear from you. Glad to hear you were able to lose some, sorry that some of it's back. I have had some emotional ups and downs this year, but nothing catastrophic, so I don't know how I'll handle the big rollercoaster, which eventually has to happen to everybody.

My big lesson is that the regimen for me has to start at the grocery store. There are still foods I just know I can't have around the house, like cheddar cheese and water crackers. I love those so much, I go through them like Sherman through Georgia, and then have to cut back for days afterwards.

susan s. said...

Oh, congratulations, Matty Boy! I am also trying to lose. And I know how hard it can be. You are wise to use the calorie count thing. I have been doing Weight Watchers for years. At this point I am maintaining about a 50 pound loss. I am an expert at maintaining! Keep posting about it. It makes you accountable to yourself if no one else!

Matty Boy said...

50 pounds is impressive, Susan, and maintaining is better than gaining. Congratulations to you.

I don't want to turn this into a weight loss blog, but then again, I didn't want to turn it into a giant woman blog, even though the popular post list seems to think it is, at least for the most part. ;^)

susan s. said...

Well, you could start another one. I for one would follow religiously!!

Padre Mickey said...

Good for you, buddy! Now that I have a kitchen again I've been doing a lot better, but since I don't have a scale I don't know how much I may have lost, but I do know that my pants are looser (and I don't mean that in the right-wing commenter context!).
The Lovely Mona has a garden and now we have mucha lechuga so I be eatin' more ensaladas, which helps.
Congrats on keepin' it off!

Karlacita! said...

Yay! I have to agree that cheese and crackers are dangerous. Dangerously delicious!!!

I'm wondering if my weight loss is primarily about giving up dairy and wheat, as my endocrinologist suggested? Maybe it's a Hubbard fambly kryptonite, those two yummy thangs.

Matty Boy said...

Padre: Good work! As you know, it doesn't get any easier now that we are on the high side of fifty.

Karlacita!: I haven't given up dairy and wheat, but my favorite "big breakfasts" - BBQ chicken, red beans & rice w/sausage, pork & hominy - have very little. (Most sausage I get has a little cheese content. Delish!)

I still get these snack cracker packages, with crackers, cheese and ham (or turkey). The cheese isn't my absolute favorite, but the calorie count/fat content is remarkably reasonable.

I had very good luck with Atkins years ago, but I couldn't stick with it and no carbs means very little fruit. Dried apricots are my nibble snack now and they are great tasting and excellent for the digestion.

dguzman said...

Oh Matty Boy, I'm so proud of you! It gets so hard as we get older, especially those of us whose athletic pursuits are limited to slow birding walks and fast typing, to keep off the pounds. I'm determined to lose some weight, or at least to get into better shape. Willpower just isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying.

Abu Scooter said...

Half a pound a week is a nice pace. Great work!

AphotoAday said...

Way to go!