This blog is still alive, just in semi-hibernation.
When I want to write something longer than a tweet about something other than math or sci-fi, here is where I'll write it.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Supporting the arts, one cartoonist at a time.


As regular readers already know, I got a nice windfall early this summer.  I'm not going nuts, but I am spending money on some stuff I might not have considered before.

There are a lot of cartoonists whose main outlets are the free weekly newspapers that many large cities support. The free weeklies are having the same problems as other newspapers - dwindling ad sales - so the cartoonists are getting squeezed. A couple of my favorites, Tom Tomorrow of This Modern World and Ruben Bolling of Tom the Dancing Bug, have set up a subscription plan, which gives the fans early access and some insights into the artistic process.

I really like this week's cartoon from Bolling. Click on it to make it larger and actually legible.

If you like Bolling's work, consider joining THE INNER HIVE. Tom Tomorrow has a similar subscription service available called SPARKY'S LIST. If you enjoy these artists, show 'em a little love and ten bucks for six months. Such a deal!

No comments: