Friday, January 27, 2017

John Hurt, 1940-2017

John Hurt, one of the greatest British actors of an incredibly great generation, has died a week after his 77th birthday. He is pictured here as the emperor Caligula in I, Claudius, welcoming a horse that he has made a senator onto the Senate floor. Hurt played a lot of great roles, but I, Claudius was the first time he showed up on my radar as a callow American youth. Other British actors of his generation who were in I, Claudius include Brian Blessed, Derek Jacobi, Sian Phillips, Patrick Stewart and John Rhys-Davies. If you've never seen it, find a copy in the library or buy it or steal it if necessary. The production values are weak by today's standards, but the writing and acting are second to none.


Another great project many people haven't seen is the 1984 version of Nineteen Eighty-Four, in which Hurt plays the protagonist Winston Smith. A British TV version in the 1950s starred the gaunt and haunted Peter Cushing, The 1950s American version starred the hefty and clueless Edmond O'Brien. Let's just say the casting directors in one of these two countries actually read the book before casting.

Without checking imdb.com, the other projects I know I saw Hurt in are Alien and a parody scene of Alien in Spaceballs, Harry Potter, The Elephant Man, Only Lovers Left Alive, Snowpiercer, The Naked Civil Servant and V for Vendetta. I decided to show pictures from a TV mini-series about an obviously insane character being given absolute power and an unhappy cog in the machinery of a vicious totalitarian government where the truth means less than nothing.

I wonder why I chose those?

It's a puzzlement.

Best wished to the family and friends of John Hurt, from a fan. May he never be forgotten.

No comments: