Saturday, January 21, 2017

Maggie Roche 1951-2017

Maggie Roche, one of three sisters comprising the musical group The Roches, has died at the age of 65 of cancer.

I owned several of their albums back in the day, including The Roches, their first record as a trio produced by Robert Fripp, I also picked up Keep On Doing and Speak. I saw them live once in San Francisco in the late 1980s. As you listen to their harmonies, Maggie has the lowest of the three voices, a contralto that almost qualifies as a baritone.

By coincidence, I saw the movie 20th Century Women last night, which takes place in 1979. It didn't feel much like the 1979 I experienced, but the Roches' first album certainly takes me back.

Off the first album, here is The Hammond Song.


Also from The Roches, Maggie's composition The Married Men, later recorded by Phoebe Snow.


And from Keep On Doing, another of Maggie's songs, Losing True.


Best wishes to the family and friends of Maggie Roche, from a fan. She will never be forgotten.

No comments: