Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Ahlgrimm Cube

I haven't been posting pictures of the OctTetra pieces recently because having pictures online could make the patent process more difficult. But today I throw caution to the wind to present a new shape I call The Ahlgrimm Cube, in honor of my CAD programmer and collaborator Dörte Ahlgrimm. She was playing around with the pieces you can see which are called Cylinder Wedges, rounded versions of the Wedge, which can most easily be described as half a pyramid. If the blue pieces were Wedges instead of Cylinder Wedge, we would have Size Two Corner, and if we we replaced all the wedges the shape would be a Size Two Cube, where all the faces would be flat. The half blue half green face on the lower right gives you a good idea of the shape of all the faces, which are kind of like square throw pillows with a button in the middle.

It's been a while since I've been playing with OctTetra on a regular basis, but it is my plan for the winter and spring to see if I can take the next steps to making the toy now in prototype into a viable product.

No comments: